Add Your Name to the Save the Southwest Chief Petition!
July 5, 2018
The Rail Passengers Association is working to oppose an Amtrak proposal to substitute bus service along the Southwest Chief route in Kansas, Colorado and New Mexico.
Citing the high costs of maintenance and implementing Positive Train Control (PTC) safety technology, Amtrak submitted a proposal to substitute chartered bus service on the Southwest Chief between Albuquerque and Dodge City or La Junta. Rail Passengers opposes this proposal, and is working with Congressional delegations in Kansas, Colorado, and New Mexico to ensure that train service is continued.
- Please see also our fact-checking response to Amtrak's proposal
- Our list of other routes potentially threatened by Amtrak's stance -- independent of the Federal Railroad Administration -- on Postive Train Control.
- Remember that we've won half the battle already with a huge victory in the Senate
- Call your Representative today to do more.
- For those of you reaching out to Municipalities (reach out to Regional Coordinator Betsy Nelson at [email protected] for more information)
"I wish to extend my appreciation to members of the Rail Passengers Association for their steadfast advocacy to protect not only the Southwest Chief, but all rail transportation which plays such an important role in our economy and local communities. I look forward to continuing this close partnership, both with America’s rail passengers and our bipartisan group of senators, to ensure a bright future for the Southwest Chief route."
Senator Jerry Moran (R-KS)
April 2, 2019, on receiving the Association's Golden Spike Award for his work to protect the Southwest Chief